We are currently accepting pitches from new writers.
Familiarity with what we publish is a good place to start. (Click here to browse our archive!) Writing style should be conversational and warm. Humor is great, but authenticity is more important. Above all, we are looking for writers who can generate mature, well-informed discussion on topics related to fanfic, fan art, and fan culture as a whole. Pieces focused on social justice (LGBTQ, Feminism, Race, Mental Health, Disability, Income Inequality, etc.) are also welcomed. We’re looking for articles between 500 and 2000 words.
FAN/FIC Magazine is run entirely by volunteers. This means there is currently no compensation for writers.
That being said, here are a few reasons why you should write for FAN/FIC Magazine:
- If you want a career in freelance writing, this is a good place to build up writing samples.
- Your articles will be seen by tens of thousands of people in over 172 countries.
- One of your articles may be used as a university course reading.
- You will get feedback on your writing and learn valuable professional skills.
- You get an awesome author’s bio with an avatar of your choice.
- It’s fun to write about fandom! (This is the best reason.)
Pitch us your article idea through our contact form below. Tell us a little about yourself and your relationship to fandom. Expect to hear back from us in five days to two weeks. We look forward to hearing from you!