Community

Our Bodies, Possessed by Light by obstinatrix

December 7, 2016 // 0 Comments

Surely, Sam would be more agitated if he knew – really knew – what Castiel was thinking. But Sam only smiles, gentles Castiel’s anxiety with a flicker of something warm and reassuring. They learned this soon and easily, the non-verbal communication, little touches to each other’s minds. Castiel wants nothing more than to let himself be gentled, but he is afraid. God help him, but he is afraid. After purging Jimmy Novak’s broken body of millions of soul-sucking Leviathans, //

Bring Up the Deep by beenghosting

September 30, 2016 // 0 Comments

The marks on his back shine red against his sickly pale skin. They look dark and angry, deeper than Dean thought possible with blunt fingernails. The whole cottage smells of fish, and it’s not until Dean’s coming to stand next to Cas that he realizes his hands and arms are streaked with blood, his feet and legs covered in sand. “What the hell did you do?” he asks. Cas blinks at him, slow. “I—” he tries, his voice shaking. “I don’t know.” As a native of Nova Scotia, the ocean //

Fan Artist UpTheHill on Dramione, Erotic Art, and the Magic of Portraits

September 26, 2016 // 0 Comments

Part of our mission at FAN/FIC Magazine is to highlight amazing fan creators and pull back the curtain on their creative processes. For our second interview, I talked to UpTheHill, an incredibly talented fan artist whose work is lighting up the Harry Potter fandom at upthehillart.tumblr.com. In the following interview, we discussed Dramione, graphic tablets, the magic of portraits, and how we’re all shameless trash. Get To Know Yous Malory Beazley: Something on your Tumblr bio //

Fan Activism: The Harry Potter Alliance

September 19, 2016 // 2 Comments

It’s no secret that fan culture is a gathering place for individuals from diverse walks of life. Fan texts, particularly fanfiction, often house complex and rich concepts about representation: gender, sexuality, race, ability, and identity. Fan writers not only explore these issues through character and narrative, but often write academic theories, current gender debates, and feminist ideology into their fictional stories. These types of fics make contemporary debates about representation //

Fanfiction Writer firethesound on Slytherin Ambition, Fan Communities, and Drarry

August 29, 2016 // 0 Comments

Part of our mission at FAN/FIC Magazine is to highlight amazing fan creators and pull back the curtain on their creative processes. For our very first interview, I talked to one of my absolutely favourite Harry Potter fanfiction writers, firethesound, whose fic All Our Secrets Laid Bare is one of the must-reads in the Drarry fandom. In the following interview, we discussed Slytherin ambition, writing by the seat of your pants, and what’s so compelling about the Draco/Harry pairing. //

Get Your Geek On: How to Survive Your First Fan Convention

August 22, 2016 // 1 Comment

Every year, thousands of people sporting their favorite geeky apparel or dressed as their favorite character descend on hotels and convention centers in most major cities. Fan conventions are a time for fans to gather together and share their unbridled, unashamed enthusiasm for all things geeky. But if you’ve never attended a fan convention before, how do you know where to start? I have been attending and staffing fan conventions for over a decade. I’ve got it tuned to a fine art, //

All Our Secrets Laid Bare by firethesound

August 5, 2016 // 0 Comments

Draco slipped his hand into his pocket and closed his fist around the bottle cap, running the pad of his thumb over the ridged edge. It was foolish and sentimental and utterly unlike him, but Draco thought that he’d keep it as a reminder of the night he decided he was serious about Harry Potter. It’s six years after the Battle of Hogwarts and Draco Malfoy is working as an Auror. But the stigma of his Dark Mark still lingers as he is only trusted with the most menial, low-level Magical Law //

Hiddleswift, Or How to Lose a Fanbase in 10 Days

August 1, 2016 // 6 Comments

It was a sunny day on June 14 when news broke about Hollywood’s newest “it” couple. Tom Hiddleston and Taylor Swift, or Hiddleswift, had taken the world by storm. They were first dubbed a soon-to-be-power-couple when they were caught canoodling on a rocky beach in Rhode Island and photographs of the encounter were published in The Sun. These photos caused Hiddlestoners across the world to clutch their pearls, aghast at the oddball pairing. They felt a disturbance in the Force. Millions of //

BattlestarCentral: Ten Years of Galactica Fanfic

May 13, 2016 // 0 Comments

In December 2003, the Sci-Fi Channel presented Ronald Moore’s re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica to fans with a three-hour miniseries. A weekly series followed, first airing in the United States in early 2005. The series received wide acclaim from science fiction fans and garnered positive reviews from mainstream publications including Time and Rolling Stone magazines. As with most popular television series, a portion of Battlestar Galactica‘s fans expressed their love for the //

Right Hand Red by lumosed_quill

May 5, 2016 // 0 Comments

Harry felt Malfoy’s breath on his lips as they came together over the bottle, hands firmly planted on the floor as though they each needed their familiar soil, refusing to cross into enemy territory. Except that Malfoy no longer felt like his enemy. Malfoy felt inevitable. Fanfics that feature the Party Games trope get a bad rap. The plots of these fics usually rely on games like Truth or Dare, Never Have I Ever, or Spin the Bottle to advance the narrative and quickly drum up sexual tension. //